56 years ago, the first working light-emitting diode was created by the GE scientist Nick Holonyak Jr. At the time, he was actually trying to create a laser – not something that would eventually replace the incandescent bulb. The LED therefore joins a long list of ‘accidental’ inventions that have entered the daily lives of millions of people – from the microwave, to the Post-It Note, to X Rays and even Superglue!
The past few years have witnessed a dramatic shift towards LED from older types of light bulbs, driven by environmental considerations, low running costs, and massive advances in the design and usability of the technology. Despite this, many thousands of workplaces and schools still rely on fluorescent lighting. While the cost of switching an entire building to LED may seem prohibitive, the pay-back time may be quicker than you expect, especially when you take into account the whole-life costs and other advantages of LED technology.
In this article, we are going to dive into the reasons why now might be the perfect time to finally make the switch from fluorescent to LED. Ready? Let’s go!
LED: Why all the fuss?
First, some facts to illustrate why LED technology is taking over the world of lighting:
- LED bulbs can produce the same amount of light as incandescent or fluorescent bulbs but using less energy or watts. In other words, they produce more lumens per watt.
- The average life expectancy of an LED bulb is 50,000+ hours. Compare that to fluorescent bulbs, which have an average life expectancy of 10,000-15,000 hours. Incandescent bulbs (remember them?!) are even worse – lasting as little as 1,000 hours.
- This translates to a real-world life expectancy of at least 10 years in a building that is illuminated 12 hours a day, 365 days a year. Even LED lights that are left to run 24 hours a day will only need to be changed once every five years on average.
- LEDs do not burn out or ‘blow’ in the same way that incandescent or fluorescent bulbs do. They are considered to be at the end of their life when they reach a stage known as L70 which is when the bulb is only producing 70 percent of its original light output as it burns towards the end of its rated life.
- On average, at least five fluorescent light bulbs would be discarded in the lifespan of one LED bulb. LED bulbs therefore reduce the amount of waste going to landfill by 80%.
- 20% of the world’s energy usage is estimated to be consumed by lighting. If we could switch all of the lights to LED technology, this amount could be reduced by over 75% – representing a huge decrease in emissions of C02 and other pollutants currently released into our atmosphere.
Transforming Workspaces Using the Power of Light
Now that you have seen some of the advantages of LED technology, it’s time to look at how Mount Lighting can help you transform your workspace into a bright, energy-efficient, and inspirational environment! Here is a selection of products from our innovative range for you to consider.
The M-Line Range from Mount Lighting provides a smart, modern, aesthetically crisp and clean luminaire system with the versatility to incorporate endless feature design concepts.
Using M-Line, you can transform the visual appearance of high-specification commercial and public interiors. Choose from designs that produce isolated individually-spaced modules, continuous lines of light, or custom shaped configurations for feature lighting that is bound to be noticed by visitors and appreciated by users of the building.
Why be boring when you could stand out with statement lighting that is unique to you? The M-Line Helix Range by Mount is designed to allow you to create endless shapes of continuous light. The only limit is your imagination. Really.
To make your design even more unique, the aluminium body of the Helix is available in no less than sixteen different colours. It can be ceiling-mounted or suspended from colour-matched ceiling roses.
LEP30 – Recessed LED Panel Lights
Designed to be a straight replacement for fluorescent light units in a typical suspended ceiling installation, these slimline, stylish panel lights give off a flicker-free light that is perfect for office and classroom environments.
Their low-maintenance design also has a significant advantage over traditional louvered fluorescent light units in that they do not have recesses where dust and flies can gather, making them perfect for cleanroom and laboratory areas. Also, unlike fluorescent lights, they come on instantly – no more waiting for a room to illuminate or getting annoyed by the tired light unit in the corner that always seems to come on 5 minutes after the rest!
Even Greater Efficiency with eBlue
The icing on the cake? You can add eBlue connected wireless smart controls to all of our LED lighting options, giving you the ability to remotely change the light output using Android, Windows and Apple devices via the Casambi app!
In Conclusion: LED Lighting vs. Fluorescent Lighting
If you are still using fluorescent lighting in your workplace, school, or collage campus, there has never been a better time than the present to make the switch to LED. If you are confused by the options available, why not schedule a call from one of our friendly lighting consultants? At Mount Lighting we have almost three decades of experience in illumination. Whether it is a talking-point luminaire for your reception area or updating your emergency lighting to comply with the latest requirements, we are here to help. Get in touch today!